This Mediterranean-inspired recipe is absolutely easy-to-do, combining the flavors of pesto over pita bread.
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup lightly packed parsley
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
4 cups spinach, torn
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1 1/2 tbsp dried whole basil
2 6-inch whole wheat pitas
1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
1. Drop garlic and parsley to the food processor with its knife blade running. Let it run for 15 seconds or until minced.
2. Add spinach, Parmesan, basil, and lemon juice. Process for 30 seconds. Scrape the bowl with rubber spatula and process an additional 30 seconds until smooth.
3. Split each pita bread in two, creating a pocket in each piece.
4. Spread 2 tbsp. spinach mixture in each pita round. Top the mixture with bell pepper and cheese.
5. Bake the pizza pockets at 450ºF for 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Serve warm.