If you want to make sure that your child is getting the proper nutrition he or she needs to grow up strong and healthy, you should know what your child eats at school.
To ensure that your child is eating healthy when he or she is not at home, follow these tips:
- Lunch review – read the school menu with your child and select the healthiest choices.
- Pack a healthy lunch – if you are not satisfied with the school’s lunch offerings, pack a healthy lunch for your child instead. Pack delicious and healthy foods like whole grain breads, fresh fruits and veggies, lean meats, low-fat (1%) or fat free milk, and 100% juice.
- Grow healthy foods – organize a group of parents, get hold of a place and design a fruits and veggies garden for the students. Put up a fundraising project to generate money for seeds and gardening tools and equipment.
- Do your homework – find out if your kids can get healthy foods or candies, junk foods, and other unhealthy foods. Also check if the school sells healthy foods during fundraisers.
- Appreciate – let the staff at your child’s school know that you appreciate their efforts to provide healthy foods and beverages for kids at school.