Aerobics directly exercises your heart muscle, strengthening your cardiovascular system and improving your body’s endurance.
Aerobic exercise is any exercise that causes you to breathe harder and forces your heart to beat faster to supply your muscles with enough oxygen to cover the extra demand.
- Aerobics lowers cholesterol and blood pressure and burns calories for weight loss
- Aerobics should include at least 20 minutes of exercise at least three times a week
- Popular aerobic exercises include the following:
- Brisk walking
- Aerobic dancing
Any exercise that forces your muscles to work against increasing amounts of resistance can be considered strength training.
The most common methods of building muscle strength are lifting weights and using specially designed resistance machines. Push-ups are an example of a strength-training exercise that requires no special equipment. Strength training tips include the following:
- Increases the number of muscle fibers doing the work and improves the endurance of your muscles.
- Helps your muscles perform better at daily tasks.
- Increasing the size of your muscles also helps the body burn more calories at rest, a benefit for those who want to lose weight.
- Improves bone density and helps combat osteoporosis.
- Strength training should be done two or three times a week.